2012-present. A collaboration with ÖAW ACDH to survey practice in digital scholarly editing.
I’m a full-time Researcher at the Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science at the University of Göttingen. I’m also a completing PhD student at University College London. I’m a Classicist by training and I conduct interdisciplinary research in the fields of Digital Classics, Digital Scholarly Editing and Natural Language Processing. I occasionally step out of my comfort zone to explore other fields of study, such as visual text analysis and stylometry. I'm fluent in Italian and English, my native tongues, I can hold conversations in Spanish and I'm currently learning German.
- Digital Medievalist, Deputy Director (2017-).
2015-present. An Early Career Research Group focussing on the advancement of automatic text reuse detection in historical texts.
2013-present. A personal endeavour to publish a semi-diplomatic transcription of the oldest surviving manuscript of De civitate Dei (5th century).
- Franzini, G., Mahony, S., and Terras, M. (2016), 'A Catalogue of Digital Editions', In: Pierazzo, E. and Driscoll, M. J. (eds) Digital Scholarly Editing: Theories and Practices. Cambridge: Open Book Publishers.
- Büchler, M., Burns, P.R., Müller, M., Franzini, E., Franzini, G. (2014) 'Towards a Historical Text Re-use Detection', In: Biemann, C. and Mehler, A. (eds) Text Mining, Theory and Applications of Natural Language Processing. Springer International Publishing Switzerland. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-12655-511
- Jänicke, S., Franzini, G., Faisal, C., Scheuermann, G. (2016) 'Visual Text Analysis in Digital Humanities', Computer Graphics Forum, 35(2). DOI: 10.1111/cgf.12873
- Moritz, M., Pavlek, B., Franzini, G., Crane, G. (2016) 'Sentence Shortening via Morpho-Syntactic Annotated Data in Historical Language Learning', ACM Journal on Computing and Cultural Heritage, 9(1). DOI: 10.1145/2810040
- Jänicke, S., Geßner, A., Franzini, G., Terras, M., Mahony, S., Scheuermann, G. (2015) 'TRAViz: A Visualization for Variant Graphs', Digital Scholarship in the Humanities (Digital Humanities 2014 Special Issue). DOI: 10.1093/llc/fqv049
- Berti, M., Almas, B., Dubin, D., Franzini, G., Stoyanova, S. and Crane, G. (2015) 'The Linked Fragment: TEI and the encoding of text reuses of lost authors', Journal of the Text Encoding Initiative, 8. DOI: 10.4000/jtei.1218
- Büchler, M., Eckart, T., Franzini, G., Franzini, E. (2017) 'Mining and Analysing One Billion Requests to Linguistic Services', In: (Proceedings) The IEEE International Conference on Big Data 2016 (IEEE BigData 2016). Washington DC, December 2016, 5-8. Available at: http://dcicblog.umd.edu/cas/wp-content/uploads/sites/13/2016/05/10.pdf
- Jänicke, S., Franzini, G., Faisal, C., Scheuermann, G. (2015) 'On Close and Distant Reading in Digital Humanities: A Survey and Future Challenges. A State-of-the-Art (STAR) Report', In: (Proceedings) EuroVis 2015: The EG/VGTC Conference on Visualization. Cagliari, May 2015, 25-29. DOI: 10.2312/eurovisstar.20151113
- Büchler, M., Franzini, G., Franzini, E., Moritz, M. (2014) 'Scaling Historical Text Re-Use', In: (Proceedings) The IEEE International Conference on Big Data 2014 (IEEE BigData 2014). Washington DC, October 2014, 27-30. DOI: 10.1109/BigData.2014.7004449
- Berti, M., Franzini, G., Franzini, E., Celano, G. (2014) 'L’Open Philology Project dell’Università di Lipsia: per una filologia “sostenibile” in un mondo globale', In: (Proceedings) AIUCD 2013.
Edited journal issues and volumes
- Franzini, G. (2017) 'Göttingen Dialog in Digital Humanities 2015', Digital Humanities Quarterly, 11(2), URL: http://www.digitalhumanities.org/dhq/vol/11/2/index.html
- Franzini, G. (2017) Spectateurs. Reviewed (in Italian) in RIDE: A Review Journal for Scholarly Digital Editions and Resources - Special Issue on Digital Text Collections, 6. DOI: 10.18716/ride.a.6.6
- Franzini, G. (forthcoming) A New Republic of Letters by Jerome McGann (Harvard University Press, 2014). Reviewed in Variants, 14.
- Franzini, G. (2015) Digital Critical Editions by Daniel Apollon, Claire Bélisle, and Philippe Régnier (University of Illinois Press, 2014). Reviewed in Digital Scholarship in the Humanities, 30(4). DOI: 10.1093/llc/fqv025
- Franzini, G., Franzini, E., Bulert, K., Büchler, M. (2016-) TRACER: An Automatic Text Reuse Detection Machine.
Surveys and data-sets
- Franzini, G. (2012-) Catalogue of Digital Editions.
2013. Textal is a free smartphone app that allows you to analyse websites, tweet streams, and documents, as you explore the relationships between words in the text via an intuitive word cloud interface.
2016. Voyant Tools is an open source web-based application that allows users to work with their own texts or existing text collections to perform basic text mining functions.
2016. Digital Medievalist is an international web-based community for medievalists working with digital media.
2017 Trento, IT - Montréal, CA - Milan, IT - Verona, IT - London, UK - Rome, IT.
2016 Antwerp, BE - Vienna, AT - Venice, IT - Kraków, PL - Cologne, DE - Leipzig, DE - Galway, IE.
2015 Leicester, UK - Tartu, EE - Berlin, DE.
2014 Norman, OK, USA - Tbilisi, GE - Lausanne, CH - Lyon, FR.
Are you new to Digital Humanities? Are you a young professional or researcher looking to start your DH project? Not sure where to start or whom to speak to? Feel free to get in touch with me and I'll do what I can to help you find your way (for free, of course). I was in your same situation not that many years ago and, who knows, we may end up working together!
Click on the icon you see on the left of the screen or below depending on your device.